Where to get help?

Sometimes problems arise in working life. Where can you get help? Here are some places worth remembering when you need help.


First contact the Industrial Union shop steward at your workplace. If the problem concerns some other issues or needs more specialised advice, you can contact the union directly. For contact information, go to the web pages www.teollisuusliitto.fi/en.

The union has advice lines, too. Employment Advice at number 020 690 447 can help in matters related to collective agreements and conditions of employment. These can be, for example, midweek holiday compensations, annual holidays, salary increases, employment contracts or service increments.

You can call Working Environment and Social Security Advice at number 020 690 449. It covers all workplace health and safety and equality matters. At this number they can also help you with matters related to income during incapacity for work, rehabilitation and pensions as well as questions about parental leave.

These advice lines are open from Monday to Friday from 8.30 to 15.00.

SAK, the trade union confederation, of which the Industrial Union is a member, runs an employee rights advisory service for immigrants, At Work in Finland. Their telephone number is 0800 414 004 and e-mail workinfinland@sak.fi. The line is open between 14.00 and 17.00 on Mondays and between 9.00 and 11.00 and 12.00 and 15.00 on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

You are encouraged to call this service if you don’t understand your employment contract or would like to speak to a specialist to check the contract before you sign it, if you suspect that you are not paid correctly  pay not getting shift work or holiday bonuses or if you are facing harassment or discrimination.

Detailed advice can be given on questions concerning holiday entitlement and working hours. The service can tell you about normal wage levels in your industry, too.

The situation in seasonal agricultural work is often unclear. The Industrial Union has published – together with other organisations – a comprehensive guide to the conditions of work for this branch.

In English It is called Terms of employment for seasonal workers in agriculture for 2021 in English. You can download it from the union web pages. The information included is also available on the union web pages in Finnish, Swedish, Russian and Ukrainian.